Holiday Hazards for pets

Holiday HazardsHoliday Hazards For Pets

By Admin

The Christmas holidays are here.  Holiday hazards for pets are common during this busy time of the year.  There are numerous hidden dangers for our pets.  We should be aware of potential dangers and take preventive measures to protect our pets.  We want our pets to have a safe holiday too.

Angel hair – Irritates the skin and can cause damage to the eyes and intestinal blockage if swallowed.

Artificial snow – Can be poisonous and can cause digestive upsets.

Fireplaces – Can cause burns.  Keep the firescreen in front of the fireplace.

Candles – Can cause burns and fire hazards.  Place them out of your pets reach.

Dangerous foods – are holiday hazards too.  Chocolate has theobromine which is poisonous to dogs. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and death.  Sugar free candy contains Xylitol which is a toxic substance.   Macadamia nuts and grapes are toxic to pets too.

Gift wrapping, ribbons and bows – Can be dangerous if eaten and can cause choking and obstruction of the intestines.

Ornaments – Glass ornaments can cut your dog’s paws, mouth and intestines.  Place glass ornaments out of reach or use plastic ornaments.

Tinsel – Is shiny, moves and is attractive to pets.  It can cause obstruction of the intestines and choking.

Christmas tree – Needles may puncture intestines or be mildly toxic.  They can cause vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.

Tree stand water – May contain sap water, bacteria and fertilizers that are potentially toxic to your dog.  It may cause diarrhea and vomiting.

Decorative lights – Holiday lights and decorations can cause potential risks for pets.  Bubble lights that are filled with methylene chloride can be toxic to pets.

Extension cords – Dogs can chew on a string of lights and be shocked, electrocuted or suffer burns or cuts in the mouths area.

Plants poisonous to dogs :

Mistletoe – All parts of this plant is potentially dangerous for pets.  It can cause blurred vision, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, blood pressure changes and even death.

Holly – Eating holly berries can be a serious concern for pets.  Berries, leaves and seeds are all toxic to pets.

Amaryllis – Eating bulbs and leaves can cause cardiac arrhythmia’s, abdominal pain and convulsions.

Jerusalem cherry – Bears poisonous fruit that can cause gastric upset and are extremely toxic to dogs and cats.

Christmas Trees – Pines, cedars and firs can be mildly toxic can cause mouth and skin irritations.

Poinsettia  – Can be mildly toxic and can cause vomiting and diarrhea.